Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Aren't the BoyScouts (TM) supposed to be proud of America?

Then why are so many of their pocketknives made in CHINA?!?!? I'm looking thru their online catalogue at the pocketknives, lots of good memories there, my first pocketknife was the BSA Deluxe model, made by Ulster in the USA. (I originally said Utica of New York, but that's where Kabar knives are made; altho they did make some Boy Scout knives, they didn't make mine!) I spy the current Deluxe, a little different than mine, the Phillips screwdriver is in a different place, so I look at the close-up pic... IT'S MADE IN M-F-ING CHINA!?!?! I start peering over their other knives, the Utility is made by Imperial in the USA... the Eagle Pen Knife-- crapola, it's from China too... the old-fashioned Boy Scout Knife with brown handles, made by Camillus in USA-- umm, Camillus closed a couple of years ago (gee, they're listed as out-of-stock, too, duh). So... how old are these pictures? When were the latest batch done? Do they need to take new ones to reflect the current stock and where it's made?

At least with the Swiss Army Knives sporting the Boy Scout logo, we still know they're made in Switzerland... altho, the Classic (little thing, got a pen blade, nailfile, scissors, toothpick and tweezers, red handles) normally runs about $10 (any more than that and you're getting ripped off!). The BSA logo'd Classic is $24... so, the Boy Scout logo adds $14 to the value?!? I don't think so, Tim! Especially considering that the Chinese-made Eagle Scout pen knife, which is a copy of the Swiss Army Classic, costs $13, so they're losing a dollar there!

Now, granted, I've heard that the quality of Chinese-made knives is improving, depending on the factory and the company's quality control that the Chinese are making them for, but, still, it's the principle of the thing! Shouldn't the Boy Scouts' knives be made by quality companies, preferably in the US? (The Swiss Army Knives are quality products, the Swiss make so many of them, that's how the prices are still affordable, even tho by comparison the Chinese stuff is a much cheaper price... ask yourself if it's still a value once that Chinese-made knife breaks; at least the Swiss Army knives have a warrantee for repair or replacement.)

Whoever is in charge of the Boy Scouts' equipment procurement needs a little electro-shock thereapy to encourage them to re-evaluate their ways, or as I tend to shout at the TV... TAZE 'EM!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Arcadia Iris said...

the Classic (little thing, got a pen blade, nailfile, scissors, toothpick and tweezers, red handles)

Or purple... depending on if you're me. And I don't care if the quality of knives does improve/is improving in China, I was always choose a Swiss Army Knife over a "Swiss-style pocket knife". If the day ever comes that a Swiss Army Knife isn't worth my money, I guess I'll just make do with the ones I already have or start carrying seperate tools.

2:39 AM, July 16, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home