Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Local Victory Garden in the "news"

I put "news" like that because it's the University Press, the Lamar U. student newspaper (which, frankly, barely qualifies as a university-level student newspaper, IMO). The article in question is on the front page (which I can't read in .pdf, no matter how many times I download & install Adobe, it just hates my computer and vice versa; thankfully I have the paper itself in front of me). The gist of the story is that the McFadden-Ward House is planting a Victory Garden, as a community gardening project called Green Thumbs, which is apparently a hands-on children's education project. From the story by Rei'sha Hector, UP staff writer:
"It's surprising that a lot of kids, these days, don't have a clue where vegetables come from, so it's important to teach them an interest in nature, conservation, and gardening," Carol Cuccio, McFadden-Ward House education assistant, said.

The education department at the McFadden-Ward House thought the same and created in January Beaumont's first community garden, now named the Victory Garden. A variety of seed have already been planted, such as carrots, bell peppers, tomatoes, squash, green beans, zucchini, and tons more. The garden also contains a small herbal garden.

I think it's great that they're trying to get the next generation interested and involved in gardening, maybe the children can glean some wisdom from Beaumont's old timers, who had Victory Gardens for real, the last time around, before that knowledge is lost. I find it a little bothersome, tho, that the article made no mention of the historical nature of the Victory Gardens, or their current revival, especially in light of the occasions and holidays that the McFadden-Ward House is decorated as it was during the World Wars.

7 Comments:

Blogger none said...

Knowing today's kids, I'm sure they will be wondering where the big mac and chicken nugget seeds are.

11:02 PM, April 28, 2009  
Blogger AlanDP said...

Have you tried Foxit?

5:07 AM, April 29, 2009  
Blogger Arcadia Iris said...

I was going to suggest Foxit, but Alan beat me to it. I haven't kept up with their updates, so I don't know if they've got a way to set it as the default for Firefox yet or not. I still just save the pdf and then open it in Foxit.

2:31 PM, April 29, 2009  
Blogger AlanDP said...

Yes, I use Foxit with Firefox all the time. I don't even have Adobe on my computer anymore.

2:50 PM, April 29, 2009  
Blogger Mattexian said...

Thanks, y'all, I'd never even heard of Foxit, much less anything that wasn't Adobe-based for .pdf reading. Now I can catch up on some document's I'd saved, for the day when I had a working reader.

Hammer, I think the kids would be shocked to learn that vegetables come from plants!

7:01 PM, April 29, 2009  
Blogger Mattexian said...

BTW, the name of this wondrous product is eerily similar to what my sentiments were of ever reading a .pdf again: Fokit.

8:02 PM, April 29, 2009  
Blogger A True Texas Lady said...

Well someone has to do the educating which is a good thing. Unfortunately, I know all too well where vegetables come from **lol** Oh wait, sorry wrong garden **poke poke**

5:47 PM, April 30, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home