Sunday, March 08, 2009

Victory Gardens

I've been reading up on these some, and to that end, we're planning on putting in a small-ish plot of a garden (around a 4 x 8 foot section) to see how well we can do. With all the concerns about rising this and falling that, it'll be a good way of insuring some stability for the household, better I reckon than stocking up on dry and canned foods, altho there is some of that. Still, one needs a way to replenish/augment any stored food with a fresh supply, and what better way than growing your own? Plus, we've had a fairly mild winter (seems to follow a hurricane, but I won't swear to it), so everything else is already pollinating and budding (and, according to these folks, we've already passed the date for our last frost, whatever's planted now would be safe from that).

There's a few places out there that will sell you a survival set of seeds, for planting after The End of the World as We Know It (and I Feel Fine). That's great and all, but it reminds me too much of the overhyped "Pay-triots" cashing in on citizen's concerns in an apparent crisis, back during the 90s. Once that first set of seeds is in the ground, you still need to eat while waiting for that crop to ripen, which I'm sure they know someone who'll sell you a years worth of MREs, and while you're at it, they know somebody else to supply you with an "assault weapon" and thousands of rounds of ammo so you can protect your valuable pantry and garden from the Zombie Biker Gangs, who are roaming about like something out of Mad Max or Dies the Fire!

Seriously, I doubt it'll ever get that bad, for that long-- for one thing, if it was, then Uncle Sam can't collect his taxes for bailing us out!

A big part of my encouragement to start this was reading the Fox Fire series of books, about an ongoing class project to interview elderly Appalachians about the old skills, wisdom, and lore needed before and during the early 20th Century in their mountains and valleys. I feel like that knowledge isn't much different than what was needed and used by the frontier Texans of the 1830s and 40s. And I reckon we all need a hefty dose of inspiration from our forefathers, to remind ourselves that they endured much worse in their dreams for independence and liberty, so we should steel ourselves for similar hardships, be they natural, manmade, or "shit happens."

Victory Seeds
Red, White, and Grew website and blog

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Arcadia Iris said...

I was talking to my mom the other day about it being about time to plant this year's 'maters. I'm going to be out in the yard as soon as I'm over whatever it is I caught last week. Might as well go all out with it... gardening is one of those things that, for me, a lot of it is no more difficult than a little of it, even if a little of it is fairly hard work for me. So ya'll plant one on that side of town, and we'll plant one out here.

1:50 PM, March 09, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home