Monday, December 03, 2007

My biggest peeve about politicians...

...That would be about gun rights.

It's a cute gimmick, having Chuck Norris' endorsement of Mike Huckabee, and in the commercial "HuckChuckFacts" each quotes "facts"about the other, where Norris cites a fact about Huckabee and huckabee in turn quotes a "ChuckNorrisFact." One of the first "Huck Facts" out of Norris' mouth is "Mike Huckabee is a lifelong hunter who'll protect our Second Amendment Rights." That "fact" pisses me off because the Second Amendment isn't about hunting, unless it's for Redcoats or Brown Shirts or Jack-boots! That is, the 2nd is about being ready to protect yourself and your family and community against any tyrants and thugs, whether they work freelance or under contract.

That said, the ad did prompt me to go to Mike Huckabee's website, where he does explain his views on the 2nd, which fairly closely match my own.
Other candidates say gun control doesn't affect hunting. Now I'm a very avid hunter, but the Second Amendment isn't really about hunting. It's about tyranny and self-defense. The Founding Fathers weren't worried about our being able to bag a duck or a deer, they were worried about our keeping our fundamental freedoms.
So far, he's doing a lot better job of winning my attention than the last Governor from Arkansas did when it comes to my gun rights. (Unfortunately, I was naive enough then to not recognize what a con artist the last one was. I claim it was a youthful indiscretion!)

Back to the HuckChuckFacts, we should keep in mind this from Chuck's favorites of his own Facts:

Contrary to popular belief, America is not a democracy, it is a Chucktatorship.

2 Comments:

Blogger none said...

Huckabee is kind of bad on illegals and other core conservative issues but if he is strong on the second I'll support him if it comes down to it.

With the exception of Fred Thompson the rest are lukewarm on gun rights.

3:23 PM, December 31, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello, thank you for your recent visit and comment on the Seguin blog. I appreciate hearing from you and Alan. Hope you have a great weekend!

9:36 PM, January 31, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home